I.T. management need to consider not just organisation of I.T. department but also software development projects.
Main two ways of project management are:
- Directly managed project staff
- Staff report directly to project manager.
- Project manager responsible for work allocation and staff’s T’s & C’s (line management).
- Matrix structure
- Utilise skilled/specialised workers on multiple projects at the same time in order to occupy them.
- Worker has line manager (for T’s and C’s) and project manager (delivery of work).
- Line manager allocates staff to projects through negotiations with project managers.
Most large scale projects have a mix of above.