Papers validate contributions to knowledge.
- Subject experts peer review.
- Published with others in area checking it.
- Scrutinised by other researchers once in public domain.
- Tested again and again by many people.
Paper can stand up to tests, be modified or thrown out.
Papers disseminate knowledge, e.g. discover and share a cure for disease.
Papers further research
- identify existing solutions
- identify further questions requiring answers – stimulate discussion
Body of knowledge develops with publication of papers supporting this cycle.
Papers provide critical review of existing knowledge – literature reviews and research covered maybe identifying shortcomings in previous research.