Considerations when upgrading technology:
- What is the upgrade?
- Fix issue(s) in current technology
- Is issue impacting organisation?
- Is there new functionality?
- If so, is it required now or in future?
- Has support been removed for previous versions?
- Support for older technology only lasts for a certain time
- Are there dependent upgrades required?
- Is need to upgrade from upgrading other technology?
- Does upgrade require other technologies to be upgraded?
- Physical implementation
- Impact on organisation – costs, risks, downtime
- Rollback strategy
- Testing overhead
- Will there be negative impact on infrastructure
Can be major logistical undertaking – many machines to upgrade, geographically dispersed, training, upgrade duration and windowing.
May need to consider peak/off-peak time for organisation to minimise disruption.