Methodology supporting Soft Systems analysis developed by Checkland.
- The Problem Situation
- The Problem Situation expressed
- Root Definitions of relevant systems
- Building Conceptual Models
- Comparison of the expressed Problem Situation and the Conceptual Models
- Feasible and desired changes
- Action to improve the situation
Stages 1 & 2 – obtaining rich expression of problem situation, creation of rich pictures.
Stage 3 – production of Root Definition – precise definition of system.
Stage 4 – creation of Conceptual Models – abstraction of system. Conceptual Models create ‘ideal’ system. Validation of model via five ‘E’s’:
- Efficacy – will it work?
- Efficiency – will it work with minimum of resources?
- Effectiveness – does it contribute to the organisation?
- Ethicality – is system moral?
- Elegance – is system beautiful?
Conceptual Model – enough detail to show resource usage and performance indicators.