Identifies limits of the system. Definition of boundary relates directly to system’s purpose.
Inside boundary are elements/components that make up system and are within system’s control.
Outside boundary is environment and the elements/components that are outside of the system’s control.
Elements/components both inside and outside boundary can be used as system inputs and can also be influenced by it’s outputs.
Analysing a system.
- Rough definition of system
- Draw an ellipse – the boundary
- Populate with what we think belongs inside boundary
- Add what we think belongs in the environment
- Ask “Does it make sense?”
- If not, refine diagram until adequate representation of system is deteremined